Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 6-Spanglish


Today has been another awesome day in Costa Rica! My mama tica had already left when I woke up and she left me some papaya and pineapple, bread and coffee for breakfast and off I went to school! We had a short class meeting and then we headed to Calle Viquez Primary school where we had planned a short letter writing lesson to teach to the students. Dr. Powell had brought letters that a class in Wilmington had written to the students in Costa Rica. We planned to give the students the American letters so they could become pen pals! We got to the school and we found out that plans had changed for the day. We were very flexible and ended up splitting our group up into two groups of six with half of us in a special needs class and the other half in a Kindergarten class. I was in the special needs class and each of us took one or two students and read books to them. We had brought english books that we translated into spanish for the students. I read with a little boy who was in second grade, but he wasn't able to keep his hands to himself, so he got in a little trouble and the teacher had him sit in a special chair by himself. I then was able to work with a little girl named Yoselyn. She was one of the happiest girls I have ever met and I talked in as much spanish as I could with her since she did not understand english at all. It was neat to see how effective one on one instruction is and how much more engaged the students are when they are working in small groups. We had a snack with them and then headed back to our school (CPI). Tomorrow we are going to be at the same school, but we have a different lesson plan. It should be a fun lesson, but we have to remember to stay flexible because things change at all schools at the drop of a hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment