Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 5-Picadillo de papas

Today has been an awesome day! I began my day eating avocados, beans and rice for breakfast. Not your typical american breakfast but it was tasty! We had a class meeting led by Dr. Powell where we discussed Brian Cambourne's conditions of learning. It was very interesting to apply this to what we have seen so far and what we can do as teachers to help our students learn better. At our school where we have been learning spanish, we we able to make our own Latino lunch which was called Picadillo de papa. This consisted of papas (potatoes), culantro (cilantro), red pepper, onion, and many other typical spanish ingredients. We also made our own tortillas and everything was so great! We then had spanish class which was filled with lots of laughs and learning! I am getting a little bit better at my spanish! Our teacher, Lucy, is a great teacher who uses a lot of conversation to help us practice our spanish. This way of teaching helps a lot and makes conversations with my mama tica a lot easier!


When I got home from school, my mama tica had dinner ready for me on the table. I ate by myself (in my particular family, they don't sit down and eat together very often). When I was finished with dinner, my mama tica showed me all of the art that she paints. She has so much talent and paints clay houses, indian dolls, and many other things. Her art work is hung all over her house, her mama's house, and her sisters house. She took out what she was working on and told me that she would teach me how to paint like her! I was so excited even though art is most definitely not one of my strengths at all, but I was excited to give it a try! We painted until we were tired and she said we would hopefully finish it on Thursday night after dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment